Ensaladilla or Ensaladilla Rusa -Russian Salad- is the name of the Spanish version of the world famous Olivier Salad. It is so popular in Spain that it is an essential dish of Spanish gastronomy. It is mostly served in Summer, to have a nice cold dish to resist the hot weather, and in some cities is one of the most common tapas you can enjoy.
That is the reason we have put it in the menu of our first Andalusian Tavern evening. Now we are bringing this recipe to you to show you how easy is to enjoy an authentic Spanish tapa at home.
How to make Ensaladilla
INGREDIENTS (4-6 servings)
- 2 medium-large potatoes
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 eggs
- 1 can of tuna in olive oil
- 125 gr. of drain green peas
- 125 gr. of pitted black olives
- 1 red pepper
- 400 gr of Mayonnaise
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Roast the red pepper in the oven for 1 hour -30 minutes each side- at 180º. When it’s roasted, let it to cool down for 20 minutes in a closed container. Peel it, remove the seeds and cut it in thin stripes. You can skip this step by using pimento peppers.
- Wash the potatoes and the carrots and boil them with their skin on in a big pot with salty water until they are soft. You know they are ready when you pierce them with a skewer or a knife and it goes through them easily. Let them to cool down.
- Boil the eggs for 7-8 minutes, depending on the size. Cool them down with cold water and peel them.
- Once the potatoes and the carrots are cold, peel them and cut them in small squares. Mix them with the drain green peas, the pitted black olives cut in halves and the drained tuna.
- Cut the eggs in halves, keep the yolks, chop the whites and add them to the other ingredients.
- Everybody in Spain agrees that to make an excellent Ensaladilla you should make your own mayonnaise. If you have time and feel like doing it, you can follow this easy recipe. If not, you can skip this step by using a good shop bought mayonnaise.
- Add the mayonnaise to the rest of the ingredients until you get the thickness you like. If you want it a bit runnier, drizzle some olive oil or add a little splash of water.
- Put the Ensaladilla in a food container, cover it with a thin layer of extra mayonnaise and place it in the fridge until 1 hour before to be served.
- To serve your Ensaladilla: take it out from the fridge, place some spoons of it on some crackers, grate the egg yolks over it and decorate with some stripes of pimento or roasted red pepper.