Spring is finally here in all its glory. It’s time for barbeques, picnics and social gatherings in parks and gardens around food and drink. If you are thinking of hosting a meal for your family and friends, I’m bringing you a nice snack: Mexican Shakshuka Tostadas.
Tostadas are one of the most famous Mexican antojitos -snacks-, they are crunchy, with an amazing corn taste and can hold lots of different ingredients. In this recipe we are giving FENNEC a Mexican twist I personally love.
You can skipt the first steps by using refried beans.
How to make Mexican Shakshuka Tostadas
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
- 1 jar of FENNEC Shakshuka Sauce
- 4 eggs
- 4 Mexican corn tostadas -I got mine from Mexgrocer.com
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic glove
- 1 avocado
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Let’s start our Mexican Shakshuka Tostadas by making our refried beans. Chop the onion and the garlic and fry them in some olive oil. When they are golden brown, add the black beans -rinsed, but keep some of the water of the beans for later- and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Blend the fried beans with some spoons of the bean water until you get a smooth paste. Season to taste. To get a superb taste let me suggest you to blend your beans with some extra liquid and then return them back to the pan until the water evaporates and they get a thicker texture.
- Warm the content of your jar of FENNEC medium-high fire. When it’s hot, reduce the fire to low to keep it warm.
- Fry your eggs. I fried mine using a cooking ring to get a perfect round shape that fits in the corn tostada. To get a perfect runny yolk, I fried the white first and added the yolk when the white was done.
- Slice your avocado and chop some coriander.
- When the eggs are about to be done, it’s time to build your Mexican Shakshuka Tostadas. Spread some of your refried beans on the tostadas, do it gently as the tostadas are very fragile and can be broken easily. Put some of the Shakshuka sauce on the beans and the fried egg on the top.
- Finish your tostadas with some avocado slices and chopped coriander and serve immediately.